N8 PRP will be offering a new programme of innovative CPD activities in the near future – please follow us on twitter or check back here for news!
Data Specialists in Policing CPD Programme 2019
In 2018 and 2019, the N8PRP’s Data Analytics and Training and Learning strands delivered an ambitious Continuous Professional Development programme to two cohorts from 11 North of England forces. The programmes sought to make a practical step towards the digital transformation of policing by providing a foundation in essential data science methods and emergent technologies in machine learning and predictive analytics.
N8 PRP Training and Learning Research Project
The N8 PRP Training and Learning strand coordinated a research project on training and learning in the N8 Policing Research Partnership (PRP), in order to:
- identify best practices in training and learning in N8 police forces which can be shared across the partnership;
- identify current challenges to training and learning in police forces;
- identify future training and learning needs for policing partners;
- investigate relevant resources available through N8 academic partners and how beneficial partnerships between police and academics can be strengthened;
- and to use findings of the research to support the sustainable development of partnerships between police and academic beyond the end of the N8 PRP project in 2020.
Dr Cheryl Simmill-Binning was the Research Associate, based at Lancaster University, who carried out the data collection for the project. Cheryl was in touch with the N8 PRP police forces to conduct a range of interviews. The data generated by these interviews with key policing staff was used to develop a survey on training and learning for wider dissemination in the N8 PRP police forces.
The final report on the research findings can be found here.